araptirop

An extended backpacking jaunt around Ethiopia.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, DC, United States

I lead a rich inner life, appreciate a good marshmallow, and have been known to indulge in the occasional Wednesday afternoon tryst underneath the linden tree. I am currently between extended trips to East Africa; this is my story.

05 November 2006

DOA: 4 December 2006

For my ever-growing and captive readership, I just thought I'd mention that I arrive in Ethiopia on 4 December. Until then, I'll be tweaking the blog. Most recent work has been done on the bibliography, which is extensive.

Also related to my life, if not necessarily this blog, I'll be heading to Holland on November 20. I arrive in Amsterdam on the 21st, where I'll no doubt unleash the dark side. This will be my third time there. I'll be staying in the Netherlands for two weeks to visit with members of the Dutch Resistance.

You see, my grandfather was a P-51 pilot during World War II who was shot down in German-occupied Holland around the time that Operation Market Garden took place. The Allies lost twice as many men as they did during D-Day during this, the last major German victory. I'm going to stay in Bilthoven with the 88-year old and ever-vivacious Miep who, along with her husband Wout, was largely responsible for sheltering my grandfather while he was evading capture by the Nazis.

I'll make my way to Angeren to see the field where my grandfather landed and buried his parachute. Then I'll go to Arnhem to see the bridge that was the objective of the operation, the so-called Bridge Too Far. Eventually, a Resistance member will show me where my grandfather crossed back into the safety of Allied territory. It should be illuminating to say the least.

Just a note: the annual Cannabis Cup is taking place in Amsterdam while I'm there. Perhaps I'll suss out the scene and take some pictures for you granola-munching, patchouli-stinking hippie vermin out there.

And it's too bad that Date of Arrival and Dead on Arrival have the same acronyms.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home