araptirop

An extended backpacking jaunt around Ethiopia.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, DC, United States

I lead a rich inner life, appreciate a good marshmallow, and have been known to indulge in the occasional Wednesday afternoon tryst underneath the linden tree. I am currently between extended trips to East Africa; this is my story.

03 March 2007

Update Uganda

Wow.

The outpouring of comments from that last entry has lit a fire underneath my chapped backside. I would feel guilty if I didn't tell all a yall what changes I'm making to my plans. I didn't think anyone even read this old thing.

Some species of parasite has amorous feelings for me. I can't kick it. After finishing the antibiotics, I started strutting around like the cat's pajamas. I was flexing in the mirror, ruminating on chat, high-fiving everyone. Then, one night, that surly brown foe began roaring in my entrails again. The last three days have been a lesson in aiming a shower head's flow of sewage into the meager opening of Meki's drop toilet. So, even if I haven't left the homestead for a couple days, I've been pretty occupied.

Anyway, given my advanced decrepitude, I've decided that Northern Kenya isn't the best idea. I can't imagine traveling through such harsh territory with total gut rot. I hear great things about Uganda all around, so I'm going to try to take a flight to Kampala and see the 'Pearl of Africa.' I'll meander around, perhaps breach the border with Rwanda. It all depends on whether I can, in fact, recover.

After that, I'm planning on returning to Ethiopia and opening up an antiquities venture with Meki. It's too good an opportunity too pass up--roving the bush, having a permanent base camp in Africa, traveling the globe with my web catalog of goods--not to mention bedding jewel-eyed maidens the world over. I'll keep people posted on how that comes along.

For now, I have a treasury of photos from Northern Ethiopia that I'll upload as soon as I have them organized on my laptop and can find something approaching broadband (a word with an utterly different connotation in Ethiopia). This Flickr/Blogger slide show hybrid is pretty cumbersome, so the photos might end up linking to a .Mac page gallery. To those of you who have mentioned publishing, I have been working on what could only be called an experimental travel novel set in Africa. It has to be just about the weirdest travel literature I've ever read. The first three chapters are in development; the first one I've nearly finished--bizarre. Sort of like a Mevillean invocation of the muse. It's coming along, maybe I'll put some of the chapters on here.

I'll keep working on this blog. If nobody objects, I'll start posting entries without regard to chronology. Thanks for the support, everybody. It really does mean something over here. Keep putting up comments and I'll keep posting.

I have to go to the bathroom.

Labels:

 

1 Comments:

Blogger lafloor said...

sheizer dallas. i am praying for your butt. really, i've been in a similar situation, and i want everything to be good with you. you deserve it.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home